Monday, September 8, 2008

muy amable

So peruvians might be the nicest people on earth. They really go out of their way to get you sorted. Oh, an example? Well, Catherine and I got on the wrong combi one day, coming back from surfing. It supposedly went to Barranco but really just cut tangentially through the edge. When we realized we were headed to Chile, we went to get off and about 4 people told us "No! . . . it's not safe here". One man adopted us, and had us get out with him at his stop in a safer place. Then, he waited with us and made sure we got on the right combi to get home. On the next combi the cobrador tried to overcharge because we looked gringita that day but the rest of the passengers argued with him and then he noticed Catherine's eyes, fell in love, and we were safe at the baseline 1 sole rate. Just a typical day . . .

But anytime I am lost or have a question, people don't just answer. They answer kindly, with patience, and they show an interest. They want to know where you are from, where you learned Spanish, how long you've been here. And they really care! It's super nice. I frequently have long conversations with my taxi drivers and learn about how their daughters are doing in school, and they learn all about me, and advise me to get a peruvian husband. This is your basic get to know you convo:
1. What country are you from? Do you like Peru?
2. How long have you been in Peru? How long are you staying?
3. Where are you living?
4. What are you doing here?
5. Are you married or single? How old are you?

and occasionally: do you cook or eat in the street (street food vendors)? this, only women ask.

Yup, basically this all goes down in about 3 min. It's just the vital stats they have to have in order to get to know you. I think soltera was one of the first 20 words I learned in Spanish

Today I went to Dos de Mayo to present my study to the ID docs there and get their input. On the way we got stuck in much-more-than-usual traffic. Turns out right at the park in front of the hospital there was a big street fair with lots of food being sold, a jumping castle, hats, wooden spoons, bootleg dvds, and a couple of monkeys doing tricks. After my presentation I sought out lunch. There was cuy (guinea pig), pork, lots of soup stews, breads, plantains, and other yumminess. I settled on the chicharon (fried pork rind) with potatoes and rice (i know mom, potatoes are considered a veg here) and sat next to these nice ladies. They helped me sort out the system (pay 1 guy for the food, another for the inca kola) and even had me try their dessert (some sweet brown slop made from a fruit i've never heard of before). After lunch we kissed goodbye and they wished me luck. So sweet, so kind.

Also Catherine has noticed (and she's right!) we have yet to see one single unhappy peruvian kid. No tantrums, no tears. I love PerĂº!

remind me to tell you more about inca kola later! also will try to bring my camera out more so you can share with me the sights (sorry can't share the yummy flavors).

2 comments:

JY said...

sounds amazing. wish i was there! surgery is never ending.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy, enjoy you seem to have found your own little corner of Paradise on earth!! Savour all of those wonderful people and experinces.... they will be food for your soul on more difficult days......