Saturday, October 4, 2008

calling all science fans

I have a sincere science question for you all out there.

But first I need to set the stage by describing, ever so briefly, Lima's climate:

Lima is a tropical, desert climate. The yearly average rainfall is 0.3" (0.7 cm) at the coast, and 1-6 cm further inland, the least of any metropolitan center in the world. Less than the Sahara desert, my friends. However, humidity is super high, in the winter around 80% and reaching 98% in the summer months. Not to mention the microclimates that make you take layers on and off as you move through the city. Which brings me to my point . . .

There is no static electricity in Lima. None. It's seemingly dissipated by the humidity. Fine, so far I follow. But science experiments to demonstrate static electricity, like Van der Graaf generators, are seemingly impossible. Science classes have to watch videos of static electricity since demonstrations don't work. Seems like we should be able to create static charge with lots of voltage, no? Can someone smart please explain??

No comments: