Wednesday, April 22, 2009

escandalo

So yesterday, the news crews and reporters were all over our ID ward at the hospital. My nurse called me to tell me they were filming and interviewing . . . though the chief of our service refused to talk to them.

Last night on the nightly news the story was on the local stations, apparently my nurse was even on tv (I tried to watch but fell asleep early). Today it was in all the papers, including the big national paper, El Comercio. They reported that there was a staff outbreak and that a resident and a psychologist were diagnosed with TB, and that it was the fault of the poorly maintained ventilation system. They asked for the resignation of the hospital director, as well as for a hospital emergency to be declared.

Today some people from the ministry of health came by as well as the chief of internal medicine.

Lots of local politics that I don't want to get involved in . . . wonder when this will be solved. In the meantime the ID service is not accepting any TB patients.

No comments: