Thursday, August 14, 2008

Me gustaría presentarte a Chuqui

Ana is charismatic. At orientation her no-meat policy (which had already conquered her husband) took hold of Emily and, while no one can talk me out of meat, Ana's stories of adopting "third world cats" got me. Plus I've been thinking of getting one for a while (30+ hour call and dog's bladders don't mix) so it wasn't a hard sell. The second day after I got here I was talking to my hallmate, Celine, about it and the very same night she told me that one of her froggie facebook contacts had found abandoned cats in Barranco.

Berengere (the froggie facebook friend) had felt a serious moral obligation to find them a home before she left for Argentina three days later and I got interviewed (read = grilled) at a bar the following night: my intentions towards the cat, my ability to care for her then-injured leg, my plan vis a vis her health care etc. I was told that an Argentinian was also after the cat but that she trusted me more (woohoo! and yes, I played the med student card, I have no shame).

So, now I have a cat. 4 months old and a whopping 2.1 kg. This, in addition to a cellphone and apartment was all within 4 days of getting to Lima. Not half bad, I'd say.

After searching for Quechua, Inca or Spanish names - since this is a Peruvian cat - I ruled out Tupac (most people would think of the norteamericano), and Anya (black in Quechua, but too Russian) and settled on Chuqui (choo-key), which means beloved in Quechua. More importantly, she answers to it :)

After a few days of separation anxiety and trying to sleep on my face, she's chilled out and is now in charge of warming our laps while we work on our IRBs / papers. That's Celine, Marie, Catherine and myself. Lots of laps to warm. Plus all the other random students in and out of our temporary flat. (And for those who worry, I got all her shots in order). She is also learning how to play with a ball. The only complaint I have is that she's a farty pants. But since she seems to unleash that mostly on Catherine, it's actually pretty funny . . .

I'll post more pics once I get my windows xp on the mac sorted (tonight I hope).

2 comments:

Roxy said...

awwww she's sooooooo cute! Nice choice on the name.

Sebastien goes the silent but deadly route... and he's about 6kgs... fatty

Anonymous said...

i don't talk to you for some time (we never did get that phone convo together but that was my fault) and then boom, you're off in peru?! hope you keep updating this blog so i get to hear all the exciting things going on down there! best wishes on your new adventure!