Tuesday, August 19, 2008

socks aka medias

I've been dreaming of socks. Yup, only glamour for me. In between writing my IRB (first draft, done!) and training chuqui not to eat off my plate, I'm freezing my tucus off. We live (temporarily) in one of the coldest parts of Lima. It's a little valley and all the clouds settle right in and don't leave. When you walk you are walking horizontally into a cloud so your face gets all wet but the top of your head doesn't. That's god having a laugh at wearers of hats, that is. Plus it's been raining. Thanks to my wetsuit, I did get to surf on saturday on the beach out by Miraflores and that was pretty awesome . . . but mostly it's cold here.

So back to the point. Socks. The only kinds I've seen here so far are either tube socks or thin, flimsy things to wear to work. I'm dreaming of the thick wooly kind. Céline tells me I have to go to Puno (right by Lake Titicaca) to get that kind of stuff. Luckily Catherine is going there for a while for her research and I may get to go help her.

Here is my all-time favorite sock pattern: Space Invaders!! yup, that's right.

Now if I could only find someplace to get yarn around here . . .

No comments: